Thursday, July 3, 2008

Displaying Multiple Time Zones in Your Outlook Calendar

Do you need to arrange a meeting with someone in another time zone? Or maybe you're traveling and need to know the time at home and at your temporary destination.

Here's a super simple tip to viewing two time-zones in your Outlook Calendar.

Display your Calendar in Outlook (either Day or Week view).

Right-Click over any of the time labels on the left hand corner to display the pop-up menu. (see big red dot in picture)


Click on Change Time Zone to display the Time Zone settings screen.



Tick the "Show an additional time zone" checkbox and enter the rest of the settings.
Click OK .

Your Calendar will now be displayed with both time zones.



You can choose to leave both time zones displayed or turn one off once you're done by following the steps above(but clearing the tick next to "Show an additional time zone").

8 comments:

Japan Shah said...

is it supported in Outlook 2003?

I am not able to find in 2003.

Sanjay Singh said...

It is supported in Outlook 2003.

You can also get to the Time Zone settings screen by:
Click Tools-Options.
Click the Calendar Options button.
Click the Time Zones button.

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I enjoy your emails!

Ian HK said...

Multiple time zone doesnt work on the monthly view. What I would really like is an appointment that has NO TIME ZONE attcahed to it. I travel all the time with my laptop and like to change my computer clock to where I am.

Problem: I live in Hong Kong and travel to London. I put in my appointments that I have a 10am flight from London. When I get to London it shows up as a 2am flight because I would have automatically entered it as 10am Hong Kong time. If I put it in as 10am London, then when I am in HK organising my calendar it is showing up as a 6pm flight HK time.

The solution would be to have a time zone which is COMPUTER TIME ie it doesnt change so it is always relative to the computer clock.

Any ideas??

Sanjay Singh said...

(Reply to Ian HK) I don't think it is possible to enter an appointment that is independent of your first time zone i.e appointments are always entered in what is set as your primary time zone.

Solution: While still at home, enter the appointment by displaying a second time zone to see the appropriate time for the appointment.

While traveling, you can display both the local and destination time zones.

Then use the following process to swap time zones i.e. (make home time your second time zone and your travel destination your primary time zone).

Click Tools-Options.
Click the Calendar Options button.
Click the Time Zones button.
Click the Swap Time Zones button.

Now while traveling your Outlook will be setup for your destination to be your primary time zone.

Do a swap again when you get back home.

dad said...

Sanjay,

That's brilliant! Thanks

dad said...

That's brilliant Sanjay!

Anish said...

Thank you ...