Sunday, October 5, 2008

Essential(?) Keyboard Shortcuts for Outlook

Many experts say that we can be more productive if we leave our hands on the keyboard... instead of moving between the mouse and the keyboard. Personally I don't think it matters much.

You'll gain a few seconds each time you need to move your hands but lets be realistic… we're not so productive that the few seconds will make any difference… even if we add up all the times we move our hands during the day.

That being said… here is a list of keyboard shortcuts that I actually use REGULARLY.

CTRL-SHIFT-I: Go to Inbox
CTRL-SHIFT-O: Go to Outbox
CTRL-SHIFT-M: Create a new email
CTRL-SHIFT-K: Create a new Task
CTRL-SHIFT-A: Create a new Appointment (I don't use this much as I like to see my Calendar before scheduling an appointment)

Do you have you own favorite keyboard shortcuts in Outlook? Share it with other readers by leaving a comment on the blog.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

an other keyboard shortcut I am using every day is control+; (semicolumn). when reading my mail messages, it just opens the next message

Anonymous said...

Also:
Ctrl-Shft-F Find
Ctrl-Shift-C New Contact

Anonymous said...

CTRL-Enter to send email

Anonymous said...

I use these regularly:

CTRL-F -- Forward message
CTRL-R -- Reply to message
CTRL-SHIFT-R -- Reply to all

Anonymous said...

I regularly use:

Control+G to go to a specific date in Calendar.
Control+P to print any item.

All of these avoid using a mouse which makes the task faster and easier on my old wrist.

Cheers,

Bill

Unknown said...

I've always used CTRL-P for printing. I am so glad to learn about these other shortcuts - especially those sent in by those who commented on your blog.

Anonymous said...

This is very informative. I an at the present using Windows live mail, and I think its great. Do any of these tips pertain to it? Thank you, whitefeather

Sanjay Singh said...

Our blog (and software products) are only for Microsoft Outlook. At this stage we do not work with Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!