Sunday, October 5, 2008

Resending an email

I wrote about this earlier but I recently saw a friend doing this the hard way so… if you need to resend an email. There are two ways of doing this:

Method 1: Reply-to-All
Find the email in your Sent Items folder and then do a Reply-To-All on it.
Delete yourself from the Recipients.
Click Send.

The disadvantage of this is that you will probably forget to get rid of yourself from the recipients list. The advantage is that the real recipient will see the date and time that you had originally sent the email... proof that you had sent it in the first place.

Method 2: Use Outlook's built-in Resend Command.

If you are using Outlook 2007 …
Open the email from the Sent Items folder.
Click Other Actions on the Ribbon.
Click Resend this Message.

A new email will be opened up with all the details copied over from the old message. Make any changes that you want and click Send.

If you are using Outlook 2003...
Open the email from the Sent Items folder.
Click Actions on the menu.
Click Resend this Message.

What method do you use?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use both in the right situation but generally resend. I use this method generally to chase for replies. I type a brief message at the top, then underline it and then type the date originally sent. eg:

[Peter - gentle reminder - Simon]
==========================
06/0908

Mark Lee said...

I've been using method 1. Wasn't aware of the resend facility. Key issue is to be able to avoid having to re-attach anything being sent with the email.

starl said...

I use the Resend command. I add (RESEND) at the end of the subject line. If I add a new message, I do so at the top, followed by

---RESEND---

just before the original message.

Anonymous said...

It would help so much if someone figured out a way to implement resend without needing to open the mail first. Any thoughts?

Sanjay Singh said...

You can use Reply-All from the Sent Items folder without opening the email. There appears to be no way of doing the Resend unless you actually open the email.

Platterpuss said...

I have also noted "Recall this message" as an option under the Actions Menu. Can anyone tell me just what this command does?